Sunday, July 22, 2012

Week ending 22/07/2012

Progress continues again this week, and from Wednesday our 30 week contract finished so it is now over to M to keep their build time guarantee and pay us for the days that they run over....considering the plumbers were there today (Sunday) fitting pipes etc and brought the spa upstairs, I would say they are trying to catch up for lost time. The carpet didn't make it in this week, it took until Friday to get the glass in because there were issues with how the floor was and how the balustrade needed to go in and communication between the glass contractor we had enlisted and Metricon (it appears it was mostly the glass guys causing the issues so I can completely understand why M don't allow external contractors, it is too hard to manage them!!) I won't name them, but if you are wondering who not to employee to do your glass balustrade, I can give you a name to cross off your list.

In fantastic news the bedroom floor is fixed!!! No more squeaky floor boards! I haven't had a chance to talk to the SS about anything other than the glass balustrade this week and there were some tense phone messages - just glad it's pretty much all over...the glass guys have put a couple of pin holes in the side of the stairs and then decided to put the pin in a few millimetres to the left so these will need to be patched and painted..so we might need to do that ourselves...no biggie, so long as I don't have to deal with the glass guys again I will be happy - as will our poor SS!!! I bet he is cursing the previous CM for allowing it! All that aside it is in, and looks pretty good imo :-) The stair handle/rail appears to be where the reduced cost has come in, I can't say I am a fan and it is horrible for fingerprints! but it is just Rick and I, and I can make it up & down the stairs without using the hand rail so I think it will be the rule in our house - look but don't touch unless you are falling on your arse...then, and only then, may you use the handrail lol.

Other milestones this week included, house clean - the windows have come up great!, and mains power connected wooo hoo! The front balcony  balustrade also did not go in so I can't comment about that yet, it's also been raining a bit too much for the balcony tiles to go on as well.

I'm not sure what next week will bring...presumably carpet, spa actually in the ensuite, and balcony balustrade, supposedly a window service...not much else left really! Lots of little things we have found like a mark on the caesarstone, there are a few holes in the wall that need patching/repairing, some paint bubbles and places that need re-sanding, a few bricks to be replaced, bits and pieces of things.


Clean kitchen - pendants don't have globes yet, I keep forgetting to bring some!


shiny tiles
more shiny tiles - still a row of grout to be done




Rain head showers in - upgraded so that the shower rail is behind the tiles. 


Happy that he can finally fit into a bath!
Someone isn't planning to share...

one day it will have water too!





17 comments:

  1. Your home is looking beautiful! So excited for you guys. Hope they get their butts into gear for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren!! Hopefully not toooo much longer!

      Delete
  2. Nice to have a real adult sized tub too, can't wait for that either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I can't wait!! our current bath is a bath/shower and it really doesn't have the same feel!

      Delete
  3. Hi, I have been reading about your build and t is looking beautiful. I just wondered if you would mind sharing the cost of the glass stair balustrade? Hope they finish it for you soon and you can enjoy living in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, thanks for following my blog! The glass balustrade was $4300, but I got 15 quotes and had everything from $3800 to $11,000!! So it really depends on who you go with, Metricon were asking just under 6K, which was about the average of most places.

      Delete
  4. Well all of the hassle with the glass people was so worth it, because it looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I've said it before but I'll say it again, everything looks so great. The hidden shower rail is genius - it looks so neat and tidy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Em! It is so great to hear it from people other than direct friends and family, as they have to say it looks good hahaha. We are pretty happy with how all the colours have worked out for the most part. Yeah I wasn't sure if the hidden shower rail would be worth it, it ended up in the contract somehow when we asked for the extra shower head, and I figured, it's in, may as well leave it in lol so many other things being taken in and out etc. couldn't be bothered sending yet another email.

      Delete
  5. Wow looking fantastic. I bet you're getting excited about the big mone in.

    I'm following your blog because I'm considering building with M and I'm in Brisbane too. Can I ask if you would build with them again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yeah I would build with them again, it is good to have had experience already having built, it would be a lot easier second time around as you are aware of a few things that creep up on you when you're just new at it. We were just unlucky with our second SS and also the weather, but everyone has different experiences so it is a bit hard to say, but yes over-all I would build with them again :-)

      Delete
  6. If there's one thing I wish I could have had done in my build, it's that shelf in the shower. Sadly they insisted it couldn't be done becuase it required two walls - and then I go and see it being done in other builders showers :(
    Such a simple thing makes such a difference.

    Things look like they're going great, and wow those tiles are shiny. You'll only need one light per room :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is such a bummer about the shower shelf :-( There are a few things we have looked at again and wished we had done differently, but live and learn. Lol the tiles are super shiny, the sun was coming in the other afternoon and the glare was right in our eyes lol, definitely needing those blinds installed ASAP! hmmmm maybe it will give me an excuse not to clean them too often ;-)

      Delete
  7. I was thinking about that little cut away section of the wall at the top of the stairs and was thinking that would look great there with some nice lights shining down from the top on to a really latge pot/vase/planter thing with some nice tall sticks in to look decorative or a nice feature painting with the lights shining on it! You could make it a real feature! I thought originally maybe if we went with the cedar we could use the space for more storage, but if it so visible from the entry way I think we would try to make a feature of it. Out of curiosity is your ducted air con 2 zoned or can you choose which rooms to heat or cool? I wonder how much extra it would be to be able to choose the rooms to cool or heat, sometimes I dont want to heat the boys bedrooms when they are asleep at night as they get too hot and overheat, but would want the lounge heated/cooled and things like that. Would be good for flexibility but not sure if worth the cost?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mel..
    May i know if you installed the light pendant for your kitchen yourself before the handover? Or they helped you to install them at no cost?

    Thanks

    Erni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant post mate, keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  10. The good thing about installing a glass balustrades is that it can make your interiors look wide and tidy. And what I really like about it is the homey atmosphere that it brings to the house.

    Tiffany Larsen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you add lots of extra to your design?
    Your house looks great. I would like to build a similar one with yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment on my Blog :-)